Deep-sea Epifaunal Imagery Analysis
JNCC Procurement opportunities
Invitation to tender: Reference C19-0256-1363A
Deep-sea Epifaunal Imagery Analysis of 1218S Wyville Thomson Ridge SAC Survey
JNCC and Marine Scotland Science (MSS) have conducted a survey aboard MRV Scotia (1218S) to gather evidence to monitor Wyville Thomson Ridge (WTR) Special Area of Conversation (SAC) and inform assessment of condition of the designated features of the site.
WTR is located on the Scottish continental shelf. The protected feature of WTR is Annex I ‘Reef’. For more information regarding WTR please see the Wyville Thomson Ridge webpage.
The 1218S survey departed from Aberdeen on the 21 August 2018 and ended on 15 September 2018.
Imagery was collected with a drop camera (DC) system. The DC was equipped with a high-definition video camera and a separate still image camera unit, in a planar (downwards facing) orientation inside the frame. The stills camera was fitted with a four-spot (green) laser-scaling device forming a 21 cm x 21 cm square
The primary survey objective, related to seabed imagery, was to acquire video and still images for the purposes of MPA feature monitoring.
JNCC wishes to commission a contract to undertake the analysis of seabed imagery (still images and video) collected on the 1218S survey.
• The successful contractor will undertake the analysis as set out below and adhering to the NMBAQC Epibiota interpretation guidelines (Turner et al, 2016).
• The successful contractor will use BIIGLE to annotate still images as described in full in the Annex A. Alternative image annotation software may be used subject to agreement with the project officer.
What to do next
Potential bidders are invited to download the following documents and complete the acceptance form of our terms and conditions attached to the invitation to tender (ITT).
- Date for return of tender: 23 August 2019 16:00
- Proposed start date: w/c 28 August 2019
- Proposed end date: 06 December 2019