Annual Report and Accounts published
Our Report and Accounts for the year ending 31 March 2019 is now available.
The financial accounts are complemented by an overview of our key achievements throughout the year. These include:
- Working with partner organisations to co-ordinate long-term species surveillance schemes in which data are captured by volunteer recorders.
- Undertaking four surveys with Cefas, Marine Scotland and the National Oceanography centre to acquire monitoring data for offshore marine protected areas.
- Publishing an annual update of the UK Biodiversity Indicators, including assessments of 24 indicators and 50 component measures.
- Providing scientific advice to enable governments to complete a network of marine protected areas in UK waters.
- Advising public authorities on the regulation of offshore industry activities, including 579 oil and gas applications and 22 aggregate dredging applications. Beyond the UK, we started to work with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on the development of regulations, standards and guidelines for deep-sea mining in areas beyond national jurisdiction.
- Publishing the UK’s 6th national report under the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) which summarised the UK’s progress in achieving the 20 Aichi biodiversity targets for the period 2011-2020.
- Undertaking projects in several of the UK Overseas Territories and countries in South America to inform the sustainable management of natural resources.
- Preparing for the UK’s departure from the EU, we systematically assessed all of our functions to ensure seamless delivery from day 1.