JNCC has been working on improving the conservation advice we provide for offshore Marine Protected Areas. The new approach is based on recommended best practice and feedback from current users. Further information on the approach is available on JNCC's conservation advice webpage.
Updated formal conservation advice has now been published on the Site Information Centres for Braemar Pockmarks SAC, Scanner Pockmark SAC, East of Gannet and Montrose Fields NCMPA, Fulmar MCZ and Firth of Forth Banks Complex NCMPA via the conservation advice tab. This supersedes previous conservation advice for these sites.
The updated advice comprises of:
- Background information which explains why and to whom we are providing this advice;
- Conservation objectives for the site;
- JNCC’s view of the site’s condition, the conservation benefits it can provide and the conservation measures which, in our view, are required to ensure the site achieves its conservation objectives;
- Supplementary Advice on the Conservation Objectives (SACO); and
- Advice on operations which sets out our advice on how human activities can affect site integrity and therefore achievement of the site’s conservation objectives.
These elements together form JNCC’s conservation advice for each site and should be read in conjunction with each other.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the advice, please do get in touch using the email address OffshoreMPAs@jncc.gov.uk and include the site name and ‘Conservation Advice’ in the subject header.