JNCC is the UK National Contact Point (NCP) for EU LIFE funding, working on behalf of the UK Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and the UK’s Devolved Administrations.
We advise on all aspects of the EU LIFE Programme and help potential applicants in preparing their applications, to maximise chances of obtaining funding. THE EU LIFE Programme is very competitive, but by using the NCP's services the chances of succeeding with a LIFE application are significantly increased:
- During the 2014–2017 funding period, the UK was the most successful country in the EU in obtaining LIFE funding
- In the 2018 call, the UK was the second most successful country in the EU at Concept Note Stage
Please see the sections below for more information on the role and how JNCC can help you.
Our services include a helpline, pre-screening assessment of draft proposals for eligibility and fit, and advice on administrative and contractual issues.
As the UK LIFE NCP we aim to:
- Promote the LIFE programme, including providing information on participation and annual funding calls.
- Provide an advisory service for potential UK LIFE applicants, including information and support on developing proposals and a pre-screening service prior to submission.
- Improve the quality and quantity of UK LIFE applications.
- Develop the competence and capacity of prospective UK LIFE applicants, including from the UK Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies.
- Assist with clarifying roles and responsibilities of the beneficiaries in a project, including their respective contractual relationship with the European Commission.
- Provide guidance on producing sufficiently detailed and realistic cost estimates and advice on meeting financial requirements.
News and Events
For more information on any of the following, please contact the LIFE NCP team.
2020 Call for proposals
It's here and live. The LIFE 2020 Call for proposals is open!
New measures have been introduced during the Covid-19 pandemic to help applicants.
The new measures include:
- All submission deadlines are being extended by one month.
- Private entities are no longer obliged to launch open tenders for contracts above 135,000 euros.
- Projects can financially support small, local initiatives.
- A special section on start-up companies has been integrated into the guidelines.
All the relevant new information and guidance is available on the EC website (2020 Call for proposals).
2020 Government Update
The Withdrawal Agreement states that the UK will continue to participate in EU annual budgets up to and including 2020. This means that the UK will continue to make its contribution and get receipts from EU budget programmes under the normal rules. All EU projects and programmes, including LIFE, will be financed as foreseen under the current Multiannual Financial Framework (2014–2020 MFF). This includes UK organisations' participation in the 2019 and 2020 LIFE call, even though the timetable for the 2020 call stretches into 2021.
This provides certainty to all beneficiaries of EU programmes, including UK beneficiaries, who will continue to benefit from EU programmes until their closure (i.e. continue to claim receipts for projects funded by the current MFF until programme closure, for many programmes this means funding will continue into 2021 and beyond).
Details on the UK’s continued participation in EU programmes funded by the current EU Multiannual Financial Framework can be found on the gov.uk website.
Will the UK participate in future EU programmes?
The next generation of EU programmes are due to begin in 2021 and are currently under negotiation.
- Where it is in the UK’s interests, we may seek to participate in some specific EU programmes.
2020 LIFE Call – Provisional timetable
Updates for the on the Conceptual timetable can be found on the EC LIFE webpage for the 2020 call.
- 2 April 2020: Call open for traditional projects.
"What's New" Webinar Series
Registration for the 2020 LIFE Call "What's New" Webinar:
This Webinar on 22 April 2020 will summarise the 2020 LIFE Call that will be published on 2 April. It is aimed at those organisations who wish to submit a LIFE application in 2020 and to inform you of changes made. We will also be there to answer any questions you may have. Look forward to seeing you there.
If you have any problems registering for this webinar please contact the LIFE NCP team.
LIFE 2019 Call "What's New" Webinar
This Webinar summarised the 2019 LIFE Call, published on 4 April 2019. It highlights what was new in the 2019 Call, the main project topics and thematic priorities, as well as giving an overview of the application process, including key dates. It was aimed at organisations who were planning to submit a LIFE application for 2019.
While the UK LIFE NCP strives to make advice and information available as timely and accurate as possible, the NCP makes no warranties, claims, promises, representations or guarantees, express or implied as to the accuracy, timeliness, completeness, or adequacy of the information provided (or referenced therein), and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions in the material content. The NCP accepts no liability for the information we provide or its use by third parties, or for the consequences of any actions taken (or not taken) in reliance on the basis of the information provided whatsoever, for any direct, indirect or consequential damages arising out of the access, use or inability to use the information provided.
Conflict of Interest
In order to address a possible perception that JNCC, as both a potential beneficiary and having a key role in promoting and advising on EU funding, has an unfair advantage or influence over European Commission decisions on funding awards, we have adopted a robust Conflict of Interest (CoI) policy.
We are committed to dealing with any real or perceived CoI in a prompt and transparent way. We are also committed to adhere to a set of principles including transparency, impartiality, clarity, confidentiality and responsibility whenever we are acting in our different roles and dealing with stakeholders internally and externally. All our advice is underpinned by a robust corporate Evidence Quality Assurance scheme.
UK LIFE NCP
Phone: +44 (0)1733 562626
LinkedIn: EU LIFE Community for the UK