Meet our Joint Committee
The Joint Committee leads JNCC and has overall responsibility for our work. Members discuss strategic nature conservation and organisational issues as well as making high-level advice, strategy, funding and planning decisions. The Framework Document provides the legal, administrative and financial framework within which the Joint Committee operates.
|Members of the Joint Nature Conservation Committee as of September 2019|
|Professor Chris Gilligan CBE||Independent Chair – University of Cambridge|
|Dr Hilary Kirkpatrick||Chair – Council for Nature Conservation and the Countryside|
|Lord Blencathra||Deputy Chair – Natural England|
|Professor Colin Galbraith||Independent|
|Professor Ian Bateman OBE||Independent – University of Exeter|
|Dr Mike Cantlay OBE||Chair – NatureScot|
|Professor Marian Scott OBE||Independent – University of Glasgow|
|Professor Melanie Austen||Independent – Plymouth Marine Laboratory|
|Mr Charles Banner QC||Independent – Keating Chambers|
|Ms Cath Denholm||Deputy Chair – NatureScot|
|Professor Michael Winter||Board Member – Natural England|
|Professor Steve Ormerod||Board Member – Natural Resources Wales|
|Sir David Henshaw||Chair – Natural Resource Wales|
The Committee meets four times a year, in March, June, September and November. We are committed to the principle of open government and you are welcome to attend as observers, except when confidential issues are being discussed.
The meeting agenda and Committee papers are made available one week ahead of the meeting and draft minutes six weeks later. Meetings are run in accordance with a set of standing orders. If you would like to attend, please contact us.
Committee papers (non-sensitive only) can be downloaded by following the links below. To access papers for meetings held in 2017 and earlier, please visit The National Archives.
- Thursday 12 March – Cambridge
- Thursday 11 June – Virtually*
- Thursday 24 September – Virtually*
- Thursday 3 December – Peterborough
*Note, members of the public are still able to attend Joint Committee meetings held virtually to hear the discussions on non-confidential items. Anyone wishing to attend should email the secretariat. Once the request has been approved by the Chair, a link to the meeting along with joining instructions will be provided.
- Thursday 14 March – Bangor
- Thursday 6 June – Belfast
- Thursday 12 September – Aberdeen
- Thursday 28 November – Peterborough
- Thursday 7 March – Edinburgh
- Thursday 7 June – Peterborough
- Thursday 20 September – York
- Thursday 29 November – Peterborough
Inter-sessional papers provided between Committee meetings, are also available using the links below. To access papers produced prior to 2018, please visit The National Archives.
- 2019: JNCC 1932: Appointment of an external member to the Audit & Risk Assurance Committee (released August 2019)
- 2018: JNCC 1801: Terrestrial evidence review part 1: The value of JNCC’s terrestrial evidence programme