Quinquennial Review 7
Please note that the data-gathering phase of QQR 7 ran from 8 April until 7 July 2021 and is now closed. For further information on the QQR 7 process, please read the latest update (27 July 2021).
There are a number of changes to QQR 7, mainly as a result of a revision of the selection criteria. Details are provided in the Information Pack (Version 2.3, last updated 1 July 2021)1. The key points are:
- National/Regional Critically Endangered species, and European Protected Species (excluding Scotland), will be proposed for listing on to the schedules automatically (see Annex 1 in the Information Pack). There is therefore no need to propose these species in the QQR 7 data-gathering phase.
- National/Regional Endangered species that are not on the schedules can be proposed for listing if they meet the Decision Criteria (see Annex 2 in the Information Pack).
- National/Regional Vulnerable, Near Threatened and Least Concern species are not eligible for listing on the schedules.
- Species can be proposed for removal from the (existing) schedules or for their protection status to be changed.
- For Vulnerable species listed on the existing schedules, the QQR Inter-agency Group will evaluate their conservation dependence on the protection they are afforded by the schedules.
Details of the species currently listed on Schedules 5 and 8, and their protection status, are provided in an accompanying spreadsheet (version 2)2.
As a result of the new selection criteria, the data-gathering process has been simplified. Through the QQR 7 data-gathering process, you will be able to:
- propose new National/Regional Endangered species for inclusion on the schedules;
- propose species for removal from the schedules;
- propose a change in protection status of species on the schedules.
The QQR 7 timetable
The timetable has been revised (27 July 2021) and the target date for delivery of the 7th QQR to Defra and the devolved administrations is 2022. Important dates and the phases of the review are provided in the table below.
|Data gathering||Stakeholders||3 months||8 April – 7 July 2021|
|Analysis||Inter-agency group||3 months||July – October 2021|
|Engagement and consultation||Stakeholders||3 months||October – December 2021|
|Sign off||External peer review, Chief Scientists, Joint Committee||6 weeks||January – February 2022|
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
1 Version 2.3 of the Information Pack was published on 1 July 2021, and replaces versions 2, 2.1 and 2.2. The revisions include: the removal of one crustacean, four reptiles and two seals from the EPS list (Annex 1); and the removal of one EPS amphibian and two EPS reptiles from Annex 2. Further information is available in Version 2.3 of the Information Pack.
2 A revised version of the spreadsheet (version 2) was published on 1 July 2021 to address a minor error (addition of chequered skipper).