Managing our environmental impact
We are committed to the continuous improvement of our environmental performance, as part of our overall goal of implementing the principles of sustainable development in all areas of our work. Our aim is to ensure that environmental objectives are integrated into relevant business objectives in a cost-effective manner.
JNCC Environmental Policy
The Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC) aims to conduct its day-to-day business operations in a way that supports its nature conservation objectives, to reflect best environmental practice and implement the principles of sustainable development. We recognise that all our activities and operations impact on the environment and that we have an obligation to manage and minimise these impacts.
JNCC is commited to continual improvement in environmental performance and sustainable devlopment through:
- Striving to meet, and where appropriate exceed, all relevant UK, European and international environmental legislation, regulatory codes of practice and Government mandates including DEFRAs Sustainable Procurement Policy Statement;
- Minimising waste products from all activities;
- Improving housekeeping and maximising the efficient use of energy and water; and
- Preventing pollution wherever possible.
JNCC will achieve these commitments by:
- Working towards establishing environmental management standard BS EN ISO 14001:2015/ BS EN ISO 14004:2016 on Environmental Management Systems;
- Working with suppliers and contractors to encourage the adoption of environmentally responsible practices in line with HMG Public Procurement and JNCC’s Procurement Policy;
- Being fully compliant with relevant environmental and energy legislation, contractual obligations and industry codes of practice;
- reporting environmental performance to JNCC’s Audit and Risk Assurance Committee;
- presenting quarterly environmental compliance report to the Joint Committee; and;
- ensuring staff understand the requirements of environmental legislation, guidelines and codes of practice applicable to the organisation.
Responsibility lies with the Director of Finance and Resources, who reports to the Joint Committee, for our environmental performance and the implementation of this policy.
All JNCC staff have a responsibility to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met.